Monday, December 3, 2012

AOS of Going to College


     Sunday morning I woke up and walked down into the kitchen. As I looked on to the counter I saw the New York Times opened to an article titled, "Saying No to College". Even being only half awake, I was intrigued by the title. As such, I began reading the article. The whole article basically addressed the negative aspects of college, and how "college [can] put a lot of constraints, a lot of limitations around what you can and can't do". After reading the entire article I was a bit distraught about the whole thing. I grew up learning that going to college is always the best way to go. However, listening to more of Williams's, the author,  arguments, I became more open-minded. I found her examples to be the most persuasive, like how she explains that Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, both very successful people, dropped out of college and agreed that it was one of their better decisions to not finish four years of college.
 
         I looked at this article as addressing the other side, or AOS as we are accustomed to, to going to college. Although, while Williams had some good arguments, I was not convinced. I still believe that college is a good choice, well for me that is. And, I would also argue that a majority of Americans would seem to agree with me. Now, I am not trying to argue that going to college is the better choice. I would actually say that the better choice is the one that you believe will allow you to seek out the best opportunities and experiences. As such, if this is the case, than why do you think Americans feel that college is always the best option, even if some would be better off not going, like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates?
                                              

1 comment:

  1. Alex, this is a very interesting post. In my opinion, more often than not going to college is a "better" and safer choice. It is not everyday that we see people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates come around. It is important that people do not think that just because these two men and a handful of others benefited from their decision, that it is a likely occurrence. College is a very important time not only for education, but also to grow as a person and get outside of your "bubble."

    ReplyDelete