Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Expectations of Parents


This weekend my parents kept questioning me about school, colleges, and sports. They kept asking me if I knew where I wanted to go to college, or how my grades are doing, or even about the dreaded ACT. With this constant questioning I become very anxious. I felt all of this pressure about having to succeed in everything. It made me wonder if all parents are usually this intense about their child’s life. As I thought about this question I came upon this article in the NY Times about two little girls, who supposedly are tremendous runners. These two girls, Kaitlin (12) and Heather (10), ran a thirteen-mile marathon in Huntsville, Utah. When I first read this I was shocked, how could any parent allow their child to run such an extreme race at such a young age? As I continued reading I saw that their parents not only allowed for them to compete, but also encouraged them, especially the farther, Rodney. Rodney would constantly tell his children how they must win, or work harder. Apparently, these two children have been training to run since the young age of five. As well, these two parents expect a 93% average in every class they are in. The amount of effort and intensity these two parents are demanding from their children is overwhelming.
           

After I read this article I was mind-blown. I thought my parents were intense; Kaitlin’s and Heather’s beat mine. So I wonder why do parents add this amount of extremity into their child’s life? I understand that they want their child to succeed, but I don’t get why a majority of parents who were annoyed by their parent’s high expectations of them, expect even greater expectations from their own children? 

No comments:

Post a Comment